Friday, February 7, 2014

Aluminium foil origami FUN

Got so much snow!!! Wanna go out and make snowman!! [The end]

This idea hit me while playing with Aluminium chocolate wrap - can we do origami with Aluminium foil?? Last night I finally tried it hehe.

What tempted me is NOT about the silver color. It's about the soft metal properties of Aluminium. Paper is awesome but has its own stubbornness - such as if you fold a paper in half, the paper won't lie flat the way you want it to. On the contrary, Aluminium is like a tame doggy. You could make any shapes out of it!!

1) Here's what I started with - origami paper + Aluminium foil - both of same size.

My lesson learned is - the origami paper used for supporting the foil has to be strong enough. It can't be too thin or the whole thing would be too soft for origami.


2) Glue the two together. In this experiment I applied glue to the shinier side of the foil.




3) Then... do some origami!!

Here's the final product - camellia origami.  See picture below -
1) Crepe paper X thin origami paper
2) Fabric X thin origami paper
3) Aluminium X paper





I've made camellia origami using different materials. Then attempted to flatten them with a tap.

From left to right:
1) Aluminium-with-paper
2) Crunched aluminium foil
3) Aluminium foil
4) Chocolate wrap of aluminium

Here's the result. The foil strengthened by paper is still standing strong. I love how Aluminium and paper get along with each other.



I hope this opens up lot more projects for you! Feel free to share your experiments with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn! What d'ya think? Your feedback is highly appreciated! :D